[openbeosnetteam] Re: our package

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:03:51 +0200

> Every system has different standard directories. If you port some
> software over to BeOS you should honor these locations - I think that's
> a pretty good reason already.
> I think it's unlikely that the next libbind.so version changes the way
> they load their settings files; I don't really see the complication of
> updating then. But anyway, things like these are part of the
> responsibility of the maintainer of ported software.
> Be already did a bad job at this, and I see no reason to copy that.
>
> Anyway, since we're currently talking about packages made from our
> networking stack, I think it would be reasonable to just change the
> location to something that won't hurt the potential user of that
> package.

Hrrm, we can put it on our TODO list, but I think it is already well-placed at
/etc.
Which of those files would you like to see in home/config/etc, too?
We have
protocols   - makes no sense to allow overriding it by the user
services    - well, I do not think this is necessary
resolv.conf    - that one might be useful
networks    - should not be needed

So, we only have resolv.conf which could be needed. Shall I put it on my
(libbind's) TODO list?

If anybody else does it, please document the change in libbind/DEVNOTES.
The function for getting the nameservers is in libbind/resolv/res_init.c. Just
search for _PATH_RESCONF.
As it seems, we will have to copy-paste the whole code section because it
references too many variables...

Bye,
Waldemar