[openbeosnetteam] Re: our package

  • From: "v r" <vreikine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:46:27 -0500

Sorry for confusion with POSIX specs.
I remember I was surprised to see /dev and /tmp as part of POSIX and somehow
thought that /etc also required. All those files are not accessed directly by
applications but through some API calls and so there is no reason to keep
'services' big enough. Besides, only first 1024 ports are reserved by IANA, - I
an getting old and started forgeting things, if I am wrong again, correct me.
OTOH, of all those files I've seen in my experience, 'hosts' is modified all
the time, 'services' - may be in 10% of all clients I've been, and 'networks'
and 'protocols' practically never changed. Eventually, we would probably need
to provide some kind of NIS/LDAP solution for
get_(port/protocols/hosts)_by(name/address) calls. Until it happened, I guess
any file structure would work, as long as we can provide ability connect to the
box from network without mounting user volume.

Thanks,
Vlad