[openbeosnetteam] Re: our package

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:59:32 +0200 CEST

"Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Not under "system" - as I tried to say, this should be a static
> > directory - one that you can exchange without losing anything but
> > features that the installed version delivers or not.
> > I think they should be under:
> > /boot/home/config/
> > and
> > /boot/config/
> Good, I agree with that scheme.
> Should driver and kernel settings be moved to /boot/config/settings?
> They are not user-specific.

Yes, that was something I thought about, too. System applications
shouldn't even link against libraries in your home directory.
I think we should investigate how compatible this is with the existing
BeOS applications, and then see if we can keep it for R1 or weaken it a
bit (i.e. make symlinks to the home folder counterparts).

> IMHO, there are many apps that have cluttered my home/config folder
> with
> "fonts", "etc", "man", etc. Most of this can be moved to the "data"
> folder, but
> "man" contains documents.

I don't mind the "fonts" directory, although it could indeed better be
placed below a new data/s directory. Since we already have the
"documentation" folder, I think we could keep this, too.

> Do we have an app documentation folder? Be put binutils into some
> documentation folder, can we not create a folder-usage-guide? :)
> Devs should change their apps to match our guide. I am already
> feeling

Sure, we would need a chapter in our docs that guides you into the
right direction :-)
Also a paragraph "A note to our fellow unix application porters" that
shows how to map unix system folders to ours would be nice.

> like in file-hell (and dll-hell is getting hotter, too).

Yes, it's probably still getting worse.

Bye,
   Axel.