[openbeosnetteam] Re: Realtek 8139 Driver

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <n.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:55:32 +0200

> Sure. But I am quite anal about our coding style, so if you have any
> worries, you better send it over to someone else - of course I am
> kidding (except for the anal part ;-))

I'll change the code style as soon as I'm in the process of cleaning up
(I like the way it is coded now, but I am sure there are tons of people
who don't agree). I'll send the driver to Philippe to be on the safe
side ;-)

> > > But which new interface API are you referring to?
> > I assumed that the kernel network stack would use a different API,
> > because the API between the driver and the current net_server addon
> > is private
> > and thus undefined.
>
> It's not private - it's defined and documented in the sample network
> driver from Be Inc.
> We will continue to use it, at least for a start; we may
enhance/change
> it a bit over time, though - but we'll always keep backwards
> compatibility.

I think I don't really agree there. For example, my driver wouldn't work
with the realtek addon Be provided. The read hook wouldn't quite work
together with what the add-on wanted. So I've written my own very simple
addon.