[openbeosnetteam] Re: Network preflet, the future?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 03:23:27 +0200 CEST

"Niels Reedijk" <n.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The good thing is, that if we are using driver_settings all over
> > the
> > place, the stack could load its initial settings automatically.
> > What we still need, however, is something that starts the stack. It
> > would only need to open the stack once, to keep it loaded and
> > running,
> > it could end directly after this.
> The same place where the app_server is loaded?

Around there, yes :)

> > > If this file don't exists, the helper function will try to get it
> > > from /etc/network/profiles/default/interfaces file.
> > I like that. We could even say "if that section is missing" instead
> > of
> > "if this file doesn't exist", at least I would like that even more.
> Could be tricky though, I can't really imagine a way to implement
> that
> without a lot of code.

Hm, I have one; it's an API addition I think I'll make to the
driver_settings soon: a function that loads a settings file over an
existing one. It would only overwrite what's already there, so if the
settings don't intersect, both would be there.
The stack would then just have to do (I won't call it overload, no
reason to be frightened):

settings = load_driver_settings("profiles/default");
overload_driver_settings(settings, "profiles/current");

And voilà, everything is in place.

> > Do we really need this "restart the stack" button at all? I think
> > even
> > a "Stop Stack" button would make more sense to me, than just
> > restarting. At least, I don't understand, what it is good for?
> It's replaceble, it's function is the same of an 'apply' button. It's
> just me copying a bit of the current network preflet.

Okay, then, sorry :)

Bye,
   Axel.