[openbeosnetteam] Re: Network preflet, the future?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:10:09 +0200 CEST

Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > However, while I was working on this,
> > I realised
> > not only the front end needs to be designed, but also the back end.
> Yep. Only the BIND part of libnet.so require, use and support
> external settings
> files (/etc/protocols, /etc/services and co...).
> The current stack should be configure via ifconfig tool.

Oh, so we can eventually get rid of these settings files? (or at least,
move there somewhere else, like in a network/ subfolder?)

> That's basicly the way our current stack is setup today: via
> ifconfig.
> BONE do that in his /beos/boot/netscript, too.
> I find this way too Unix-y, too init.d-y.

The good thing is, that if we are using driver_settings all over the
place, the stack could load its initial settings automatically.
What we still need, however, is something that starts the stack. It
would only need to open the stack once, to keep it loaded and running,
it could end directly after this.

> The current (or default if none) profile should be determined by the
> stack "settings" helpers functions, and the settings loads from them
> at each
> module request.
> For example, interfaces modules may want to load
> from /etc/network/profiles/current/interfaces the settings
> from "/dev/net/tulip/0" section, "dhcp" option.
>
> /dev/net/tulip/0 {
>   dhcp on
>   mtu  1492
>   mode full-duplex
> }
>
> If this file don't exists, the helper function will try to get it
> from /etc/network/profiles/default/interfaces file.

I like that. We could even say "if that section is missing" instead of
"if this file doesn't exist", at least I would like that even more.

> I will rather like to move the "restart the stack" button under a
> stack
> overview/status add-on than right in front user every time.
> net_server syndrom, I know...

Do we really need this "restart the stack" button at all? I think even
a "Stop Stack" button would make more sense to me, than just
restarting. At least, I don't understand, what it is good for?

> I'll zip my current preflet skeleton, so we can share it between us.

Why not commit it to the repository? It wouldn't hurt, would it?

Bye,
   Axel.