[ola] Re: My first day.....

  • From: Troy Longstroth <troy_longstroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 14:48:28 -0700

Hey all,

It's great to hear people's reports about getting started.  I too, am
exhausted.  I did come up with an idea that I like, though.  I'm sure it's
been done before, but it's new to me.

I bought a beach ball and put numbers 1-30 all over it with a Sharpie.  I
then had my returning kids (levels 2 and up) come up with questions you
might ask someone to get acquainted.  I wrote those on the board with
numbers by them.  We then tossed the ball around and kids answered the
question that matched the number their right thumb landed on.

You don't need 30 questions.  It'll work with less.  You just assign
multiple numbers to a single question.

You could easily adapt this to small groups (multiple balls) or whole class
activities.  You could use it for learning numbers or other simple things
in a first year class too.

Anyway, it's active, all in L2, and gets kids super involved.

Have a great rest of the week!

Troy

Troy Longstroth
Spanish and Outdoor Recreation Teacher