[ola] Grading questions

  • From: "Cathy Bird" <cathy.bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:28:22 -0700 (MST)

Hello, OWLers. I need some help. I am in my first month of OWL in my
French 1 class and it is time to get some grades in the book. I have a
number of grades from the first month of traditional, but nothing really
from the past month of OWL. Originally I imagined giving grades on HW,
class skills (ie: OWL goals), writing and speaking, but it is as clear as
mud right now.

My standard break-down for grades is 20% Homework; 25% Quizzes; 25%
Tests/Projects; 10% Participation; 10% Preparedness; 10% Citizenship. I
feel good with HW, participation, preparation, and citizenship. but tests?
Quizzes?

Here is what I have.

1.       During English week, I said that students would earn 10 points
per day - 6 pts for speaking in L2 and 4 pts for homework being done. I
did not assign a lot of homework, but I did note who had done it or not,
so I have a homework grade for them.

2.       I evaluated their alignment with OWL goals and gave them
feedback, asked them to argue with me if they felt I was off base, but I
feel a little uncomfortable grading that document. Is 'meets' an A,
'approaching' a B, and 'just beginning' a C?

3.       I gave them a pre-assessment writing activity that I could grade
as a quiz/test. It was a homework, rather than an in-class assessment.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Merci

Cathy Bird
Middle School French
Colorado Academy
303-986-1501, x.2622