[ola] Re: First days!

  • From: Zach Haney <zachhaneyjobs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 01:09:40 -0400

Andrew,
Thanks so much for sending this out to this list -- your mention of those two
gentleman has been exactly some inspiration I've been needing.
I hope your first year is amazing and OWL brings the light to your life is
brought to mine last year! Definitely keep up on this list, the people here
have been some of the most engaged and helpful educators I've ever met.
Zach Haney
Math/Spanish TeacherMeridian AcademyBrookline, MA
From: andrewvanwagenen@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:57:55 -0600
Subject: [ola] Re: First days!
To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is my first year teaching and thus my first year doing OWL/OLA. I'm lovin
every minute of it so far. I started school a week ago here in Utah and for the
first couple weeks I tried to do a lot of community building games that
included using people's names and short conversations where students simple
asked the names of other students. I really wanted to emphasize building the
community and getting all of my students to know one another. On youtube there
are a lot of these team/community building games and activities. If you search
"Mark Collard" or "Tom Heck" in youtube channels you should be able to find a
lot of fun activities. ¡Mucha suerte a todos!

Andrew Van WagenenCorner Canyon High School

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Ashley Uyaguari
<auyaguari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's so good to hear from everyone! It's an exciting start to the school year.
I've done OWL for over a year now, but I'm still nervous. I know that once we
get going, the nerves will go away. I have a unique situation this year because
two of my classes are the same groups I had last year and three are new. I've
never gotten a second year with the same class. It should be fun! I'll share
which activities work well after I meet with them tomorrow! Happy First Days
everyone!

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Antonio Torres
<antonio_torres@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Buena Suerte Heidi!!!:)
A.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Heidi Ambrozaitis
<ambrozaitis-heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'm freaking out about tomorrow, my first OWL day. :)
I am planning to bring in a few random items (to be determined...maybe a
stuffed turtle or a flag, etc.) to talk about. Annie had told us during
bootcamp that she has her students close their eyes in the circle and she goes
around and collects a few things from them to make it more personal. I'm a
little nervous about that in case of a bad student reaction. SO, I'll bring in
the items or I may take some things from the kids if there are things laying
around - we'll discuss what the item is, the color, then what else is that
color in the room, whose is it, etc. I'm sure more questions about it will come
up as I go (or at least I hope so!). That's my plan and I hope I can keep them
to it. Eeeek!

Good luck getting started, everyone. I'm looking forward to hearing other first
day/week activities.
Heidi