[obol] Re: barred owl - coquille area?

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 09:31:54 -0700

I'm always baffled that Barred Owls are as scarce in Coos County as they seem
to be. I believe one area where government sponsored removal of Barred Owls may
occuring is Northern California. Barred Owls remain a hard to get species on
both the Coos Bay and Coquille CBCs . They are present and slowly growing in
numbers, but nothing like the Portland area where you can just about trip on
them.
Oddly, the second detection of Barred Owl in Oregon that I ever heard of
was in the Coos Bay area. That was back in 1978. Lars
On Oct 5, 2015, at 7:56 AM, Karen Saxton wrote:

I've been hearing, on quite a regular basis the "Who cooks for You," hoots of
a barred owl, where once we heard very rarely the odd dog like spotted owl
calls. I didn't realize they'd gotten this far SW