[obol] Re: Where Oregon stands in the eBird rankings

  • From: Harry Fuller <atowhee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 14:48:26 -0800

sadly I still know some very good and active birders who don't ebird...yet,
but I keep telling how cool the various analytics are...I am just over 680
checklists for the year and I a few days in arrears so will break 700 this
weekend for submitted checklists this year and yer I am way down in the top
100 for species for the year in Oregon

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Tori Morgan <toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I came to Oregon from the East 4 years ago on the impression that the
place was spectacular and that the populace here cares more about the
environment than most other places. Among many other signs, statistics
like this demonstrate that my impression was right making me very happy to
be here. Fewer people doing more than most to care for nature... it gives
me some hope for the future of the planet. That's not a feeling I got very
often in the metropolis of the northeastern U.S..

Keep leading the way, Oregon, and keep up those numbers,
Tori Morgan
Cottage Grove

On 11/12/2015 2:50 PM, David Irons wrote:

While doing bit of eBird surfing I looked at where Oregon ranks in terms
the numbers of checklists submitted and the total number species reported.
All-time, Oregon eBirders have reported 519 species, which ranks 6th out of
the 50 states. With just shy of a half million checklists submitted we rank
15th, not bad given that we are the 27th most populated state. For just
2015, we rank 7th in terms of reported species (400) and 8th in number of
checklists submitted (89855). Given that about one-fifth of our all-time
checklists have come from the current year, I think we will likely move
into or near the top ten in the coming years.

Fun stuff for an otherwise wet and dreary day here in Portland.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone

Harry Fuller
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*, see:
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/
author of *Freeway Birding*, see: *freewaybirding.com
<http://freewaybirding.com>*
birding website: http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com