[obol] Re: Where Oregon stands in the eBird rankings

  • From: Jamie Boulton <bluespark59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: llsdirons@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:21:16 -0800

As a fairly new birder, I hesitate to comment. But having lived in other
areas of the US, I feel compelled to point out that perhaps Oregon with its
enormous natural beauty may have more and better varied habitats for birds
than some other places. (Being the 27th most populated state is another
advantage for our feathered friends.) And being along the flyway for many
Arctic and other birds doesn't hurt either. It makes me wonder, which state
does have the biggest variety of birds? Which state has the greatest sheer
numbers of birds? Of course E-Bird is working on these very questions! I
have always been interested in the natural world and since moving to
Oregon, I continue to be agog of how many different kinds of birds are here
for all of us to find, watch and search for.

Jamie Boulton
Albany, OR

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:50 PM, David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx> wrote:

While doing bit of eBird surfing I looked at where Oregon ranks in terms
the numbers of checklists submitted and the total number species reported.
All-time, Oregon eBirders have reported 519 species, which ranks 6th out of
the 50 states. With just shy of a half million checklists submitted we rank
15th, not bad given that we are the 27th most populated state. For just
2015, we rank 7th in terms of reported species (400) and 8th in number of
checklists submitted (89855). Given that about one-fifth of our all-time
checklists have come from the current year, I think we will likely move
into or near the top ten in the coming years.

Fun stuff for an otherwise wet and dreary day here in Portland.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

Sent from my iPhone