[obol] Curious About Wintering PRFA

  • From: "Carol" <imcaroling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oregon Birding On Line" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:36:06 -0800

Regarding the posts on OBOL about no male Prairie Falcons wintering in the
Willamette Valley: I am curious to know how the falconer in eastern Oregon
would know that male Prairie Falcons winter away from the females. Have they
been tracked in some way? Has anyone done a study on this or know for a fact
that there are no male PRFA in the valley in winter? The fact that a falconer
in eastern Oregon has, for quite a few years, observed female Prairie Falcons
stealing food from the males, I understand. But how would the falconer know if
the males go elsewhere than the females for the winter?

If this is a presumption, I understand, but I would hate to see this bit of
falcon trivia stated as a fact without any substantial evidence.

My post is by no means meant to be hurtful in any way to any of our fine
birders. The posts regarding this phenomenon just really got me to thinking
about how this behavior was determined, hence the questions that popped into my
head as I pondered this.

Looking forward to some thought-provoking responses. Thanks!

Carol Hiler
N. Albany