[obol] Re: Red-throated Pipit on Newport south jetty at 12:45 pm

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tyler Hallman <hallmanator@xxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 18:32:46 -0800

Tyler, Chris and all,

Always good to get the word out when you think you might have found
something rare, so thanks for that.

As someone who's spent a lot of time with northern-hemisphere pipits on
both the North American and Eurasian continents, I think the variability
of Buff-bellied/American Pipit calls is greater than most observers
appreciate. Without a clear visual, I think that's the most likely
explanation. Olive-sided as Shawneen suggests would be my next guess,
but I think it's best to start with the more expected species.

But thanks for getting the word out promptly. I'd be very happy if
someone finds a Red-throated Pipit in South Beach tomorrow to prove me
wrong.And I'm sure no one is going to complain about an Olive-sided
Pipit either. But Buff-bellied/American Pipits are cool birds too.

Good birding,
Joel

Unfortunately, I myself did not get a look at the bird. I heard
the really distinctive call about three times before it flew by.
Are there other birds with that same call note? We couldn't
relocate it after the flyby do unless someone else can confirm
it I doubt I will count it. Adrian and Christopher got their
eyes on the bird as it flew by. They might have more input.