[obol] Re: Red-throated Pipit on Newport south jetty at 12:45 pm

  • From: Tyler Hallman <hallmanator@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx" <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:20:23 -0800

Unfortunately, I myself did not get a look at the bird. I heard the really
distinctive call about three times before it flew by. Are there other birds
with that same call note? We couldn't relocate it after the flyby do unless
someone else can confirm it I doubt I will count it. Adrian and Christopher
got their eyes on the bird as it flew by. They might have more input.

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015, Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

They really have a different shape than an American Pipit. Shorter tail
and a little porkier; in flight they look more like a Savannah Sparrow in
shape - not as long and slender as an American. I have seen several in
Alaska and one in Oregon.

Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx');>

On Nov 11, 2015, at 3:07 PM, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx');>> wrote:

Tyler,

Did you all get good looks at it also? I had what I thought was a RTPI
fly-over calling with a flock of pipits on the north spit of Coos Bay
before there were any accepted records. I heard the bird call several
times and saw it from below, so I was able to tell size and a few other
characteristics but never had a "complete look" at the bird on the ground.
I would try and sneak up on the flock but as I got close they would all
pick up together and fly off a ways and I would have to try and sneak up
again. I chased them for about an hour and gave up- the winds were howling
at the time. No bird the next day and my record was not accepted. Oh, and
it is not on my Coos list...

Sounded good and looked good but I never had good enough looks, especially
for a new state bird.

One that got away...

Tim R
Coos Bay

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Tyler Hallman <hallmanator@xxxxxxxxx
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','hallmanator@xxxxxxxxx');>> wrote:

Just had a red-throated pipit fly by on the south jetty in Newport. It
called multiple times with its high pitched tseew call. It came off the
ocean and flew towards the science center.

Seen by Adrian and Christopher Hinkle and heard by OSU bird needs club.

--
Tyler Hallman M.S.
Ph.D. Student

"You miss one hundred percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky

"We're becoming paleontologists describing things that are already
extinct."
-Luis Coloma regarding herpetologists