[obol] Re: Red-throated Pipit on Newport south jetty at 12:45 pm

  • From: Christopher Hinkle <christopher.hinkle2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:37:59 -0800

Looked but could not re-find the pipit. When it flew over we agreed that it
fit Red-throated (which is quite distinctive) and wanted to get the word
out. That said, since we couldn't re-find the bird and the visuals weren't
good, out of caution I personally am not counting it or claiming 100%
certainty from what I observed. Frustrating of course but that's how it
goes sometimes. Sounds a lot like Tim's experience.

We estimated a fairly good flight of about 25,000 loons fly by Boiler Bay
between 7:35 and 8:55 this morning. As Phil mentioned, many were really far
out and there could have been a much larger movement further offshore. The
Hatfield Marine Science Center had a Lapland Longspur and a distant
Rough-legged Hawk over the LNG tanks across the bay. Long-tailed Duck was
along the Yaquina south jetty road. Good birding with the OSU Bird Nerds
crew!

Cheers,

Chris Hinkle