[obol] Coos Birds 11/11/2015

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:30:08 -0800

First thing in the AM I heard the MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE(S) at the BLM office
in North Bend, been around there since early October.

Later in the AM in the Catching Slough pastures on the east side of Coos
Bay I found a mixed goose flock that contained: a dozen G. White-fronteds,
about the same number of Aleutian Cacklers and Canada Geese, plus one all
white domestic goose, and a SNOW GOOSE. Across the river there was another
SNOW GOOSE all by its lonesome. Sitting on a piling up Catching Slough was
a single TURKEY VULTURE. They have overwintered in that area two of the
last three years, maybe again this year- it would be a nice bird for our 20
December Coos Bay CBC. Contact me if you are interested in attending.

Later in the PM Teak and I were out on the north spit walking across the
road from the old Weyco pond site along a gravel road I like to think of as
Lark Bunting Way. Anyhow, there was a pair of PALM WARBLERS hanging
together along the bay there.

Also, Jeannie Lea reports that the Bullards Beach S.P. NORTHERN MOCKER was
still around yesterday.

Wet morning but a pretty afternoon with temps up around 60F.

Merry Novembertime- enjoy the sun when you can : )
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay