[obol] Prairies and Rough Legs

  • From: "Carol" <imcaroling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oregon Birding On Line" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 16:27:55 -0800

Birding buddy Jamie Boulton and I drove around the grass fields east of Albany
this afternoon. Aside from the usual Harriers, Red Tails and Kestrels, we
found a Prairie Falcon just north of the intersection where Brownsville Road
turns into Sand Ridge Road. There was a Rough Legged Hawk in the same area.
Driving on, we encountered two more Rough Legged Hawks and then a second
Prairie Falcon in a tree at 1260 Parker Road around 3:45. The first falcon had
a very white breast and smooth feathers, whereas the second one was a bit
disheveled looking with a darker breast, so we are positive it was not the same
bird, although they were found about 1/2 mile apart from each other. A
possible pair? Awesome day.

Carol Hiler
N. Albany