[obol] Re: RS Hawks- E. Oregon Breeding?

  • From: "Jeff Fleischer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "raptorrunner97321" for DMARC)
  • To: "d_villa@xxxxxxxx" <d_villa@xxxxxxxx>, "timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx" <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 01:05:43 +0000 (UTC)

Dawn, Tim, and all-
I know this has been a thread related to breeding situations throughout Oregon
for White-Tailed Kites but I thought you all  would be interested in the Kite
numbers that we have found in the Tillamook area during the 11 winters that we
have been surveying the area as part of East Cascades Audubon Society's Winter
Raptor Survey Project.  The majority of bottomland in the Tillamook area has
been surveyed as part of two routes that basically cover east and west of Hwy
101.  The following results have been collected and the numbers reflect the
month each winter when the peak number was recorded for the routes combined:
2004-05     20     February2005-06     29     January2006-07     16
November2007-08     11     January2008-09     10     November2009-10      7
January2010-11      5     January2011-12      8     January2012-13     15
December2013-14     16     November2014-15     12     December and January
When the two routes were surveyed this month for the beginning of this winters
survey activity, the 25 Kites that Dawn alluded to was a welcome figure for
sure, hoping for a higher count on another month this winter! :)  Kinda looks
like a cyclical pattern expressing itself this winter,

Jeff  FleischerProject CoordinatorWinter Raptor Survey ProjectEast Cascades
Audubon Society - Bend, OR
From: "Tim Rodenkirk" <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] RS Hawks- E. Oregon Breeding?Thanks everyone who has provided
information. Sounds like breeding RS Hawks continue to expand there range all
the way into SW WA but WT Kites breeding range has actually shrunk in the last
decade.  Interesting stuff. Next question- does anyone know if Red-shouldereds
are breeding anywhere in E. Oregon, records have really increased in the last
decade? Merry Thanksgiving all!Tim RodenkirkCoos BayOBOL archives:
//www.freelists.org/list/obolContact moderators:
obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx