[obol] Re: Question on Pine Grosbeaks

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 09:55:42 -0700

I also wondered how many of these migrated here or were resident.  I
suspect the lack of snow has more of us out in the mountains. I do not
think Pine Grosbeak are all that rare in the Cascades, just that they were
not detected. I have heard individual birds in the mountains during the
summer. If these birds did not call, they never would be seen.

There are a few subspecies, I was going to try and look at everyone's
pictures and look up the subspecies to see if they can be separated out.
Not sure if it is possible or if call notes are needed etc.  With all this
nice weather , I have not done that.  Today looks like a good day.

Bob Archer
PDX