[obol] McMinnville seawatch

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 14:17:43 -0800

I did a McMinnville seawatch today.

4:11 AM - open one eye to look at clock

4:20 - go to bathroom, start computer

Check Depoe Bay weather: sunrise at 7; rain at 9; wind from S, ~10 mph

Decide to go for it

5:00 - shower, feed birds, load up

5:30 - launch from home

7:00 - arrive Boiler Bay, nice conditions

Seawatch. Help Ohio birder ID some birds

See distant Sooty Shearwaters ~25

See one smaller shearwater, white underneath, NO DETAILS

* This is the closest I've come, in 11 days of looking, to seeing what
might have been Manx/Black-vented. :^/

8:15 - serious rain. We retreated to pedestrian walkway under the bridge at
Depoe Bay.

8:30 - 9:30 - search for birds from that shelter. Rain hard.

Found him Heermann's Gulls, Mew Gulls.

Watched Black Oystercatchers multiply from 6 to 14.

No rock pipers.

9:30 - braved rain to find him Black Turnstones and Surfbird near Spouting
Horn

10:00 - 11:00 - seawatch from car at Boiler Bay, running the heater full on.
Saw few birds.

11:00 - 12:30 - return home. Throw everything I'm wearing in the dryer.

Moral of the story: Be thankful if you live at the coast and can do this in
ONE hour and see more birds.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan