[obol] Re: [YamhillBirders] McMinnville seawatch

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, OBOLINKS <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 21:15:22 -0800

If you saw 14 Black Oystercatchers, Paul, I'd say it was a great day! ;-)

We also did a "sea watch" of sorts today. We started from home (near Grand Ronde) at 12:30 p.m., arrived Lincoln City 1:30 p.m. for Oregon Shores annual meeting with wonderful speakers, first up being Bill Peterson, an oceanographer with Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport. Johnny and I both learned more than we ever knew before about ocean currents, the elusive El Nino, and "the Blob": huge region of warm water in the Pacific that is responsible for the weird happenings on the Oregon coast the last couple years, from massive Cassin's Auklet wreck last year to Common Murre die off this year... and much more.

Lots of other excellent speakers, too. Oregon Shores does more than I ever realized... their legal work has helped save habitat up and down the Oregon Coast. Check them out: oregonshores.org

After the reception at 5 with delicious hors d-oeuvres, we had supper at the Jasmine Thai restaurant, then drove home in pouring rain without getting wet. A good day. (Even though we did not look for or see Black Oystercatchers... or any other birds.)

Linda Fink

On 11/7/2015 2:17 PM, 'Paul Sullivan' paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx [YamhillBirders] wrote:

I did a McMinnville seawatch today.

4:11 AM – open one eye to look at clock

4:20 – go to bathroom, start computer

Check Depoe Bay weather: sunrise at 7; rain at 9; wind from S, ~10 mph

Decide to go for it

5:00 – shower, feed birds, load up

5:30 – launch from home

7:00 – arrive Boiler Bay, nice conditions

Seawatch. Help Ohio birder ID some birds

See distant Sooty Shearwaters ~25

See one smaller shearwater, white underneath, NO DETAILS

* This is the closest I’ve come, in 11 days of looking, to seeing
what might have been Manx/Black-vented. :^/

8:15 – serious rain. We retreated to pedestrian walkway under the bridge
at Depoe Bay.

8:30 – 9:30 – search for birds from that shelter. Rain hard.

Found him Heermann’s Gulls, Mew Gulls.

Watched Black Oystercatchers multiply from 6 to 14.

No rock pipers.

9:30 – braved rain to find him Black Turnstones and Surfbird near
Spouting Horn

10:00 – 11:00 – seawatch from car at Boiler Bay, running the heater full
on. Saw few birds.

11:00 – 12:30 – return home. Throw everything I’m wearing in the dryer.

Moral of the story: Be thankful if you live at the coast and can do this
in ONE hour and see more birds.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan

• Privacy <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html>