[obol] Re: Harlan's Hawk Tillamook 11/4/2015 (photos)

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: Tom Crabtree <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:48:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi -
I agree with Tom - nice photos and also very useful.

This would be an easy bird to pass off as a Rough-legged Hawk, a mistak I have
probably made in the past. In two of the inflight photos it is possible to tell
that it has unfeathered tarsi (lower legs/feet) ruling out Rough-leg (and
Ferruginous). At that point the possibilities for a big buteo this pale come
down to "What kind of Red-tail?" where the whitish tail leads toward Harlan's.

Wayne