[obol] Re: Coos/Curry Update

  • From: Don Henise <kiskadee3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 17:34:44 -0800

I've added photos of the Coos County Tropical Kingbird and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher to my eBird lists:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61188329

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61189452

On 11/4/2019 4:15 PM, Tim Rodenkirk wrote:

I talked to Terry Wahl about the lack of Tropical Ks on Saturday- well that changed quickly! Terry reported the following birds today from the family ranch near Cape Blanco:

3- TROPICAL KINGBIRDS
2- CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS
1- late CHIPPING SPARROW
the 2nd ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK of the fall at the ranch
and of course PALM WARBLER

He said he saw a SAY???S PHOEBE yesterday- hard to figure out how many of these he had had, one or two usually overwinter.

Back in Coos, Robyn and Don Henise refound the Pony Slough TROPICAL KINGBIRD in same spot as yesterday. They also found Coos 5th BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER at the old Weyco settling pond site at N Spit Coos Bay. The spit was covered with fog and wind blowing when I got back from woods so didn???t try to chase my county nemesis bird.

I did see two TVs in Myrtle Point on my way home- looks like birds will winter in that area again.

For old timers who remember when Tropical Kingbird was a review species (removed in 2002) ??we had 6 accepted records in Coos from 2001 and earlier. This fall???s Pony Slough bird is record #67 for the county- some of which involved multiple birds- wow! This accounts for birds that stayed around for a while too so anywho that is 61 records (more actual birds) in the last 18 years-wowzer!!!!

Tim R
in sunny Coos Bay

--
Don Henise