[obol] Re: Common Ground-Dove provenance (no it's not an escapee)

  • From: rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "'rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:38:29 -0700

The last message from rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx [1]

from Kevin Spencer, Klamath Falls, OR

sorry.

-----------------------------------------From: rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "OBOL"
Sent: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:35:18 -0700
Subject: [obol] Re: Common Ground-Dove provenance (no it's not an
escapee)

Interesting point. When I first saw the images I thought "what great
light!" as the bird was much more reddish than what I recall seeing in
Ventura County, southern CA. I used to work for a soil and plant lab
and had access to agricultural properties such as lemon, orange, and
avocado orchards, and saw Common Ground Doves regularly. So, it could
be that the bird's source might be from an eastern population.

----------------------------
On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:15 AM, David Irons wrote:

Greetings All,

Photos of this bird shared via Facebook have elicited some
discussion
about which population it may have come from. Males from the eastern
population tend to be more colorful below than their western
counterparts.
Upon reviewing literature and looking at illustrations (particularly
Sibley's) I began to wonder if this might be an eastern bird.
Professional
tour leader Daniel Lane raised this question in response to a
Facebook
posting on the ABA Rare Bird Alert page. Definitely something to
ponder.

It should be noted that northerly vagrancy of Common Ground-Doves
became a
thing in the east before it seemed to start occurring here. Food for
recreational thought.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR1

OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol [2]
Manage your account or unsubscribe:
//www.freelists.org/list/obol [3]
Contact moderators: obol-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [4]

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn

"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."
-- Gary Snyder @gmail.com>

Links:
------
[1] mailto:rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx