[obol] Re: Common Ground-Dove provenance (no it's not an escapee)

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:40:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Paul -

Like many "southern" birds with populations east of the Great Plains and also
with populations in the southwest, Common Ground-Doves from the two areas tend
to look a little different (I am away from my references, so I cannot say how
many subspecies are involved). Other examples include Great-tailed Grackles
(Lousiana and Texas birds are a lot bigger than the ones in Arizona, southern
California, and Nevada), Painted Buntings, Cardinals (Southwestern ones are
bigger), Cassin's Sparrows, and Eastern Meadowlarks. Whenever we have vagrants
of species with these distributions some of us tend to wonder which populations
they came from. In this case, the suggestion has been made that this stray is
from the east, rather than from the southwest.

This is not very relevant to countability in this case, but is very interesting
to some of us who like to try to understand causes of vagrancy.

Wayne

Date: Mon Oct 19 2015 13:27 pm
From: jeffgilligan10 AT gmail.com
That is interesting. It looked redder to me than the ones I see in Arizona.
----------------------------
On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:15 AM, David Irons wrote:

Greetings All,

Photos of this bird shared via Facebook have elicited some discussion
about which population it may have come from. Males from the eastern
population tend to be more colorful below than their western counterparts.
Upon reviewing literature and looking at illustrations (particularly
Sibley's) I began to wonder if this might be an eastern bird. Professional
tour leader Daniel Lane raised this question in response to a Facebook
posting on the ABA Rare Bird Alert page. Definitely something to ponder.

It should be noted that northerly vagrancy of Common Ground-Doves became a
thing in the east before it seemed to start occurring here. Food for
recreational thought.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR1