[obol] Re: Common Ground-Dove provenance (no it's not an escapee)

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:42:27 -0700

Hi Paul et al.,

There are two populations of Common Ground-Doves in the US - the paler,
less colorful western birds, which occur from Southern California across S.
Arizona east to westernmost New Mexico, and the much brighter, more
intensely rufous subsepecies (group) from Southeast Texas along the Gulf
Coast to Florida and north to South Carolina.

I agree with others that the Yachats bird looks brighter and more colorful
than any of the Co. Ground-Doves I've seen in the Southwest (I have no
prior experience with the eastern subspecies).

Good birding

Hendrik

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This provenance question is not one I would raise -- or even know about...
;-) I'd just be happy to see a Common Ground-Dove in Oregon.

For those of us in the hoi poloi, what does "eastern" and "western" mean in
this context?

Paul Sullivan
-------------------
Date: Mon Oct 19 2015 13:27 pm
From: jeffgilligan10 AT gmail.com
That is interesting. It looked redder to me than the ones I see in
Arizona.
----------------------------
On Oct 19, 2015, at 10:15 AM, David Irons wrote:

Greetings All,

Photos of this bird shared via Facebook have elicited some discussion
about which population it may have come from. Males from the eastern
population tend to be more colorful below than their western counterparts.
Upon reviewing literature and looking at illustrations (particularly
Sibley's) I began to wonder if this might be an eastern bird. Professional
tour leader Daniel Lane raised this question in response to a Facebook
posting on the ABA Rare Bird Alert page. Definitely something to ponder.

It should be noted that northerly vagrancy of Common Ground-Doves became
thing in the east before it seemed to start occurring here. Food for
recreational thought.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR1

Hendrik G. Herlyn