[obol] Re: Boiler Bay

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 17:29:40 -0800

Just curious, excuse me for my ignorance. I admit to not really liking
offshore scoping, sitting in one spot all day just isn't my thing. That
said, I have spent up to a couple hours scoping before (its brutal)!
Anyhow, I see your list and if it was mine (a much less experienced pelagic
observer) I would have all sorts of stuff like shearwater sp. 1000, loon
sp. 1000. etc. Did you leave those off? Are you sure you didn't see any RN
Phalaropes (they are hard to ID when they fly by the boat on pelagic trips
sometimes!)? Etc. etc. When I scope, it seems like I can't ID half the
stuff because it is so far off, but maybe you can ID everything at Boiler
Bay. I imagine you are just doing estimates of what you did see and going
from there. But to see no XX species sp. seems a bit amazing (maybe you
report those separately?).

My two cents (don't throw the tomatoes to hard),
Tim R
Coos Bay

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Tom, Phil & All,

Not true about the scopolamine, Tom, I got seasick just reading this!

But maybe that's just because my one pelagic trip (out of Depoe Bay on an
extremely choppy winter day, as a birthday present -- one of Greg Gillson's
trips, co-guided by Matt Hunter). I still wonder if there was any
connection between that birthday present and the life insurance policy that
I took out not long before that ;-)

It wound up with nearly every single birder except me, Paula Vanderheul,
Amy Schoener, and Terry Steele turning green and puking over the railing.
Paula, Amy and I stayed clear of that by riding on the front end of the
boat, so we froze half to death, but at least we didn't get sick. I tried
to go in the cabin to warm up once but I immediately started feeling sick,
so I went back out on deck and stayed there for the rest of the trip.

I'm not sure how Terry did it since it was also his first time offshore on
a small boat, but he did even better, chopping chum while most of the rest
of the paying passengers were volunteering their own chum over the railing.
Terry and I were the only ones still on deck when we picked up a
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel pedaling off over the water. A little farther on I
spotted what I called out as a Xantus's Murrelet (well honestly I had no
idea so that was my best guess). But the captain backed up to the GPS
coordinates where I called it out, and it turned out to be a very
cooperative Ancient Murrelet that swam past the boat along both sides, not
more than 30 feet out.

Even the folks who were still green around the gills dragged themselves
out of the cabin and got to see close-up views of an Ancient Murrelet. I
sure hope that compensated for the rest of the "pelagic experience"!!!

Anyway Phil, good spotting! In my view this is the way that smart people
do their pelagic birding.

Happy birding,
Joel

That's quite the pelagic trip, Phil, no scopolamine required. Nice finds!