[obol] Re: Boiler Bay

  • From: "Phil Pickering" <philliplc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:26:02 -0800

Hi Tim,

I imagine you are just doing estimates of what you did see and going from there. But to see no XX species sp. seems a bit amazing

I may have more to say on this later when I am not
about to crash, but I think for now the best answer
to your question might be in the relationship between
these two statements.
Yes almost all of the larger numbers I report at Boiler Bay
Bay are estimates - based on conservative extrapolations of different types of sampling, rather than actual counts of individuals. Hopefully it goes without saying that
I'm not actually identifying every individual I report.

So given most of the larger numbers are extrapolations,
my feeling philosophically is that it doesn't add much
meaning to the report to also tack on "XX species sp."
in those cases - or to have to always add notes such
as "Since I'm not identifying every individual it's possible
small numbers of Red-necked Phalaropes may be missed
in obvious large movements of Red". I'm hoping those
types of thoughts can simply be presumed. My main
philosophical interest with these reports is to convey
in a general sense what species are moving without
too much clutter. Yes I know it's pretty far from a rigorous scientific enterprise. I'm fine with that since
it's mostly just for fun.

That said you will see me sometimes report "sp." for certain situations where I feel I'm not able to robustly
sample or have reason to think ratios might not be
consistent at different distances.
Cheers, Phil