Re: [nvda-translations] Use of Multi Meaningful words: A headache to translator!

  • From: Him Prasad Gautam <drishtibachak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 08:50:10 +0545

Hi again,
We all know that encounter of constrains in translation is natural.
But we have to look the root cause of the problem.
I think that basically such problem arise due to two reasons.
1. Due to different rule of two languages like Rui pointed out on
gender issue or use of a word with same form in Noun and Verb like
save, print, report etc. ( Language rule: the root cause of problem!)
2. Use of a particular word with multi or dual meanings in many places
as a message like 'none' , 'on' or 'off' etc. though there exists
suitable alternate word (the writer i.e. man: The root cause of the
problem!). My immediate concern is for the second category. I think
that for the first case, it should be addressed differently. For the
second case, it is easy if the code developer keep few things in mind
before writing a word/phrase inside the double quotation marks as
message for the user. Take an example:
a) The word 'none' in the selection list of voices be written as 'no choice'
b) Capslock/Scroll/Numpad key be said 'locked/unlocked' instead of 'on/off'
In gist; the second category problem be completely eliminated if
avoidance of repeated message text adopted and specific suitable words
are used.

Him p. Gautam

--
Him Prasad Gautam