[ncolug] Re: Comparing today's computers to 1995's

  • From: Chuck <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:08:00 -0500

The computer I had in 1995 was built out of a bunch of random parts...
The motherboard was designed around an AMD K7 CPU - I think it it had
2GB of RAM and 160MB HDD.  It went to the recycler about 2 years ago.

My first computer back in 1982/83 was a Kaypro II:
http://oldcomputers.net/kayproii.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaypro

That computer would barely be considered a dumb terminal by today's
standards.  The software was cryptic and arcane.  The manuals were
worthless-poorly written, in something that vaguely resembled English...

Good times!

Chuck

PS My dad and I were even members of a Kaypro users group, which marked
my first experience being in a group with others of similar interests.

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 09:24 -0500, Kory Pounds wrote:
> LUG-Nuts,
>
> I thought this was a pretty funny, but true, article. I found it
> through Slashdot.
>
> I am much younger than everyone else I am sending this email to. In
> 1995 I only had extremely limited experience with any computer (from
> my high school days), and those computers were very primitive. I knew
> nothing about any computer hardware and usage standards from that
> time, neither did I currently understand what they were. That was
> until I read this article.
>
> After reading this article, I understand the HUGE difference in
> standards that have taken place from 1995 through today. I am sure
> that everyone who is reading this email had involvement with and owned
> computer equipment in 1995. I would like to know what type of computer
> equipment you owned in 1995 and how you used it. Was what you had then
> "top of the line"? How much did it cost? What did you use it for? Did
> you do much "hacking" with it to increase performance and to provide
> any other enhancements? What type of "add-ons" did you use? What
> operating system did you have on it? What type of
> intranet/Internet/online usage did you have?
>
> I would love to see all of you share your "testimonies" regarding this
> matter. Here is the original article. Read it first then let us know
> what you think:
>
> http://therelativelyinterestingblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/comparing-todays-computers-to-1995s.html
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Kory Pounds