[ncolug] Re: Comparing today's computers to 1995's

  • From: Jim Dolan <wolfson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 18:52:08 -0500

Kory et al.,

I believe that machine cost somewhere around $3,000 originally. I added another $500 in upgrades after purchase. That money went for things like a 2400 baud modem, a massive 40 Meg second hard drive, and the additional memory and the board to plug the memory into. Back then adding memory involved adding a full expansion board and populating it with the appropriate ram chips. I got off cheap by waiting till I found the memory expansion board at a computer repair shop, since it was a brand specific board that sold for $1000 w/o any memory on it. They were specialized for that time in that they had dual bus architecture allowing the memory request to travel on one bus and the memory return via a separate bus boosting performance by eliminating the need for "wait states" between request and delivery to the cpu. It lasted in my house from 1986 till 1992. It was augmented with a Mac Plus in 1987 so I could multitask by using two machines at once. It went away when I needed to run OS/2 and it wasn't capable.

How does that sound for interesting fun?

Jim.

On 2/27/2012 7:07 AM, Kory Pounds wrote:
Jim,

So how much did that machine cost you? How long did you end up using it?

Kory

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Jim Dolan<wolfson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hey Larry - WOW!

I can't remember the first computer I used, at least not to find a
description of it on the web.  It was a mini-computer that we used to learn
"programming" at something between machine language and assembler code.  The
best accomplishment I had on that one was to get it to print out the time on
the roll of paper that fed through it.  Every minute on the minute, crossing
an hour boundary for about 15 minutes with less than a two second error.
Coding was done in two character lines of code.  First a letter or symbol
and second a number.

First machine I bought was from AST Research and was an IBM 286 clone that
had both the Intel 286 chip and a Zylog Z80 chip in it.  That way it could
run DOS and use the other for graphics or CPM and use the other for
graphics.  It was much more capable, and much more recent than the one you
posted.  Everyone around me oohed and aahed at it with it's 20 meg HD and 1
meg RAM.  I still remember the joy of plugging all the chips into the second
memory board to boost it to 2 meg RAM one day.

Still laughing,
Jim.

On 2/25/2012 10:51 AM, Larry DiGioia wrote:

My first:

http://www.thecorememory.com/html/ncr_decision_mate_v.html

On 02/25/2012 08:46 AM, Jim Willeke wrote:

Well, not about the computers of 1995, but,
related,
http://blog.jim.willeke.com/2012/02/comparing-today-computers-to-1995.html

--
-jim
Jim Willeke

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM,<hbkeultjes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Getting too far off topic Chuck but if you mean that the Amish are taxed
less or not at all, of course the sales tax on a zero TV set = zero but
otherwise federal, state, municipal and other sort of taxes have no
exemption for Amish that I know off.  Otherwise I am sure George Soros would
be Amish.

Henry