[nanomsg] Re: Separating the library from the docs

  • From: Martin Sustrik <sustrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:45:14 +0200

On 2013-08-13 16:15, luca barbato wrote:

If, to please the picky windows user, we want to provide on *release*
a nanomsg-docs-${version}.7z it is easy to do with a dist-hook w/out
having the pain to keep synced branches.

Actually, if we could generate the docs only on "make dist" it would cover almost all the use cases.

There would be also a nice separation of concerns:

1. Users and devs do only make & install. They don't need doc toolchain.
2. Maintaners do "make dist". They do need doc toolchain.

However, there's a technical problem in that the same "make install" is used when you are building from git and when you are building from source package. Yet, in the former case there are no man pages to install. In the latter case the man pages should be installed.