[muglo] Re: where do iPad downloads go?

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:10:25 -0400

Goodreader should work for you. It has easily accessible file folders and can download from URL sites. In fact, everything Safari mobile SHOULD do. It does have a number of annoying 'add-ons' for more money, like ability to download email attachments.

Hey, i had a similar difficulty the other day with a PDF file. I wanted the Sunfest schedule on my iPad. It was easy to find with google and safari, but safari provided no way to save the image. No popup options when i tapped on the screen. But i remembered that i have another app which reads PDF files. Goodreader will do that and also download PDFs from a URL.

It isn't a photo, jpeg or such. Those SHOULD be in the Photo app.

So Safari will download to display on screen some files but will not download to save.

So what do you mean, doug, when you say download?

It was JPEGs specifically that I was concerned about. Safari can be made, by a rather roundabout way, to display them — but although it shows the usual "download" option that on my laptop saves the JPEG to my User>Downloads folder, and although it seems to react the same way when that option is invoked on the iPad, it appears not to save the image to any place that I've been able to find so far. The JPEG doesn't show up in Photos. And there is no Downloads folder — nor folders of any kind, apparently, or at least ones that the poor user can see and get into.

I haven't had occasion yet to experiment with pulling PDFs off the Web, but expect to have to do that before long, and have loaded Goodreader for just that eventuality. I've now added Photogene in hopes of it being able to find my missing JPEGs, but haven't had time to try it yet.

Wayne Dobson
pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx
(519) 474-1253 res.
(519) 860-2725 cell