[muglo] Re: mysteriously shrinking photos

  • From: Douglas Bale <dougbale@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 14:56:48 -0400

On Sep 5, 2015, at 10:34 AM, doug <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is the app you're using downsizing them for thumbnails?

I don’t think so, Doug, but I don’t really understand how that would work. I’m
using Photoshop CS6. I’ve just looked at another shrunken photo. It was saved
as a TIFF, beside another snapped less than a second before, also saved as a
TIFF. Both when saved on the hard drive, clocked in at 6MB. One now is 447K.
I’m not sure whether this is germane to your question, but I've set the Finder
to thumbnail view, maximum thumbnail size, and made screenshots of the both the
shrunken and the unshrunken photos. The thumbnails are the same size for both,
213KB apiece. So the shrunken one has come down to half thumbnail size. I have
no idea what to make of that.

samu press store <http://www.zazzle.ca/samupress> _ cartoon life blog
<http://dougsamu.wordpress.com/> _ samu press blog
<http://samupress.blogspot.com/> _ @dougsamu
Are you saying these are the same photo? Or nearly identical? Separate but
similar? Or the same photo with different time stamps?

Are they both still in the same format? Png? Tiff?

Yes. In my original example, I had two nearly identical shots taken within
seconds of each other. After post-processing in Photoshop, both were 4.5 MB;
now one of them is 219 KB. It’s happened with JPEGs. JPFs. TIFFs and PSD
formats. They remain in whatever format they were stored in.

If this does have something to do with them being downsized for thumbnails, how
do I go about stopping that?