[muglo] Re: The latest from Kathryn

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:13:35 -0500

>Well, I have mostly happy news to report. My friendly techie ran an
>examination of my HD with Norton Disk Doctor, and we found major
>problems with Catalog B-free errors affecting the location and saving
>of files, plus minor problems with MS Office, Appleworks, Extra
>Languages, the Colour Sync Profile, Library Core Services, Mac Help and
>TechTool Deluxe.
>Disk Doctor fixed all these, fortunately.  I was lucky I lost only one
>file before this was all remedied.

Hmm. Sounds like time for a floormat and re-install!!!

>I also upgraded to OS 10.3.2 as per Eric's instructions.  However, my
>attempts to install downloads of upgraded versions of MS Office for
>Macs  did not work; I kept getting the message "Could not find Office X
>for Macs", and it was sitting right there in my applications.  I expect
>it's because I have the educational version, and so I am not allowed to
>have downloads of the updates. The only way around this, I guess, is to
>buy the regular version at several hundred dollars - which I am not
>willing to do.

_Absolutely_ not the case (I can guarantee it since I've updated an edu
version in the past)!!! The edu version and the "pro" version and the *same*
and upgrades will work on either beast.

What version does a "Get Info" on the Word application report? Also, when
you open Word, what version is reported under the Word menu?

If it's 10.0, I would adivse you to simply reinstall (i.e. copy) the Office
application again. Is the Office folder in your "home" Applications folder
or in the "universal" folder?

Eric.