[muglo] The latest from Kathryn

  • From: Kathryn-Jane Hazel <k.j.hazel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:21:22 -0800

Dear Muglo-ites:

You may recall a while back the despairing e-mails from me about my
brand-new G4 PowerBook - and the various suggestions from MUGLO members
as to what to do.

Well, I have mostly happy news to report. My friendly techie ran an
examination of my HD with Norton Disk Doctor, and we found major
problems with Catalog B-free errors affecting the location and saving
of files, plus minor problems with MS Office, Appleworks, Extra
Languages, the Colour Sync Profile, Library Core Services, Mac Help and
TechTool Deluxe.
Disk Doctor fixed all these, fortunately.  I was lucky I lost only one
file before this was all remedied.

I also upgraded to OS 10.3.2 as per Eric's instructions.  However, my
attempts to install downloads of upgraded versions of MS Office for
Macs  did not work; I kept getting the message "Could not find Office X
for Macs", and it was sitting right there in my applications.  I expect
it's because I have the educational version, and so I am not allowed to
have downloads of the updates. The only way around this, I guess, is to
buy the regular version at several hundred dollars - which I am not
willing to do.

I am still having problems with selecting items so I can copy and paste
them, or drag to them to another folder or to my snazzy new flash drive
(Kensington 128 MB) which I now use for storage rather than disks.  I
suspect I  need a new mouse; the one I have is a trackball and although
I clean it regularly it still gets gummed up quite easily.  I went to
Future Shop to look at possible mice and was overwhelmed by the choice.

Can any of you give me advice now that's a good reliable mouse?  I've
read other messages from muglo-ites saying that Logictech is good, but
what kind of mouse should I get?  What features should it have?

Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kathryn