[muglo] Re: Saving AppleWorks to Word

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:56:44 -0500

>Welcome to the world of Windows.  Likely the minutes are still
>readable by your committee/group.  All they would have to do is
>open Word then go to File : Open and navigate to the minutes in
>question and then open it.

That's only if it's an extension issue.

>I think by saying unable to open it you might be referring to a
>double-click action.  An alternative on your end is to put the
>.doc extension (remeber those things!) at the end of the file
>name so it shows up properly on the Wondows machine. I have not
>had any problems using AW6 and converting to Word (other than
>fancy features).
>
>I'm not sure if OS X "requires" the use of extensions but I think
>they are used under the hood so to speak.
>
>Martin

Fortunately, *yes* OS X does use extensions.

The Mac solution to file meta data (file type/creator) has been both a
blessing and a curse. A blessing because it makes things simple. A curse,
because of two things: it is hard to translate across platforms which means
files on Mac will more often than not end up being useless on Windoze; and,
when it gets corrupted, does it ever go wrong. Apple has *never* made it
easy to fix it... the logical place would be in the Get Info window but
Apple never provided access there... you needed third party gidgets to do
this... OS X is much better at it than OS 9 ever was... I rarely, if ever
(?) have an application not found error in OS X.

Eric.