[muglo] Re: Storm Protection

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:59:51 -0400

Susan N. Dunbar wrote:

>Looking at the information that Eric referred to in his google search,
>especially the Lightning and Surge protection PDF,
>to me it looks as though surge protectin can be installed at the main
>service panel, as point of entry to the apartment.
>
>Please help me understand if this is not correct.

Only if the owner of the building agrees and many will not allow such
changes, even though they also benefit. In most cases an apartment
building has a 400 Volt plus lead into a "Busbar", which is then routed
to each meter for each apartment. Any exterior protection is quite
expensive, usually $2000 plus plus just for the equipment and requires
Hydro approval & inspection.
Surge protection via a good quality power bar is the least expensive
protection, followed by special red  coloured outlets in the wall;
you've probably seen them in hospitals, which require them at every bed
location.
Lightning protection is rarely needed in any modern building if the main
electrical panel is well grounded. The biggest cause of computer
problems comes from "Brown Outs", which occur often. Ground Fault
Circuit Interrupt (GFCI) outlets; the ones with 2 buttons on them
usually installed in bathrooms; work on the principle of variation of
current, similar to power bars, and will shut off the power if a fault
is detected.
Panamax surge protectors work on the above system and are a good, wise
investment.
I am a "Home Inspector" and  know of what I speak. BTW only 17% of the
thousands of homes that I have inspected over the last 20 years are
wired correctly, including new ones and especially apartment buildings.
TTFN,
TeeC