[muglo] Re: Storm Protection

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:46:39 -0400

on 6/12/04 4:33 PM, Tee Cashmore at tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Paul Thomas wrote:
>
>>With all the storms that we have had recently - and who knows for the
>>future!! - is it necessary to turn off the power, unplug the supply and/or
>>disconnect the telephone line to the modem?  It seems these days that
>>people leave their computers on in storms!!  Perhaps they are more robust
>>now?
>>
>>Paul
>>
>Hi Paul,
>No, they are not more robust now!!!!  Most "Power bars" have Mickey Mouse
>protection; look nice, but are ineffectual.
>Better power bars usually run about $25-60 and do provide a modicum of
>protection, usually as a function of price.
>If you want to plug directly into a wall socket, change the socket to a
>"protected" socket; they are red in colour and cost about $30 and you see
>them in hospitals beside all beds.
>TTFN,
>TeeC

You could also install lightning protection at the entry point to your
house. It'll cost a bit more than a properly protected UPS but will protect
all the electrical equipment in your house (and, if your insurance doesn't
cover lightning damage, you might have to replace a TV, fridge, etc. in
addition to your computer in the event of a strike).

Eric.

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*