[muglo] Re: Storm Protection

  • From: Marty Peterson <marty.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:45:35 -0400

I have held a bad experience with my MAC plugged into a wall outlet.  In
September 2002, I had plugged my MAC into the wall, the same outlet as the
answering machine.  Through the night we had a terrible thunder storm that
hit the house or close to it.  The answer machine was fried but the compute=
seemed fine.  Over the next couple of weeks the computer began to become
slower and slower.  Thinking the problem was a lack of RAM, I order more fo=
it. (PowerBook G3 with standard 64mb).  Six or seven pieces of RAM later we
discovered that it was damaged by a power surge from the lighting. This of
course meant replacing the computer totally and I now have a G4 PowerBook
that I immediately unplug it from everything during a storm and continue to
work on battery.=20

Marty

On 6/12/04 8:29 AM, "Theresa Roth" <theresaroth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> With all the storms that we have had recently - and who knows for the
>> future!! - is it necessary to turn off the power, unplug the supply
>> and/or disconnect the telephone line to the modem?  It seems these days
>> that people leave their computers on in storms!!  Perhaps they are more
>> robust now?
>>=20
>> Paul
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
> I left mine on as I=B9ve never had a problem.  I do have a $35 powerbar whi=
ch
> I=B9m not sure if it=B9s also a surge protector.  Here=B9s what happened:  My
> o=
ld