[muglo] Re: Storm Protection

  • From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:24:57 -0400

Here's my answer, friends.  Expensive,  but it lets me sleep at night !
After last year's fiasco of brownouts etc - I decided that the $ cost
of fried Macs, and lost info without backup was insignificant in
comparison with my time in trying to recoup everything. Tempus fugit
for me !!

I wanted to leave my G5 on 24/7 whether in or out of my dwelling - and
not having to arise for middle of the night storms!

After much investigation and help from Peter Miazga, I bought an APC C5
BackUp unit (expensive!) which automatically shuts my Mac down, after a
preset save time, with or without my  physical presence.

Power bars etc are ok for a limited (and not inexpensive) solution, but
I sought a more sophisticated, fail-safe system.  It's operated okay
now for 9 months through all sorts of storms and brown outs.

We have to face the fact that we do live in 'tornado alley ' here in
SWO,  plus connection with the US powergrid  :-)

My 2 cents worth  ( well not quite that !! )

Ilbert