[muglo] Re: Scanners

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:25:51 -0500

Ilbert Walker wrote:

>Scanners - Handheld and Flatbed
>Can anyone recommend a good replacement for my existing ( never used !
>)UMAX Astra which is useless with OSX.

Why? Is it a SCSI?

>My needs are :
>
>Basic entry scanning (and export via email etc) of text and photos
>Input of page size or column width text /graphic from books or
>magazine/newspapers

That means almost any of them, because it's the software that does the
real work, not the scanner.

>Good OCR translator with low error %

That's software too.

>Digital Photography - input and printing out of hard copies

That is really best done via the computer & Photoshop Elements 2 is
great. IPhoto is okay, but somewhat limited, but O/S X... defaults to
that, or Preview.

>As Tee C reminded me, there used to be  the Handheld Thunderscans (
>back in the Apple II Dark Ages ) where columns could be scanned in and
>stitched together?    The Googlegear USB Flatbed suggested by Barry T
>might provide a currently available alternative ? But I find the price
>suspiciously low:-)  Am investigating - (see ZipZoomfly.com)
>
>For more general purposes the Canon LIDE 20 CanoScan seems to have some
>good features . I have a particular requirement for s lift and raise
>lid to facilitate thick book scanning.
>I think this latter feature and future exploration into digital
>photography (including the scanning of 30 year old family photos!) are
>essential needs for me

I believe the LIDE 20 function in Classic mode, but the LIDE 80 is fully
O/S X.
As to lifting lids, almost all have a raised lid feature and most Epsons
have a lift off mode, which I find very useful.
Scanning old photos is a breeze, I just did an 80 year old one and with
Elements got rid of all the grainy background and a couple of big
creases in about an hour. The resultant 8" x 10" print looked like the
photo had just been taken.

>What models,( makes, prices and local sources?)  are you other guys
>using as scanners ?
>
>Any advice appreciated
>

>Cheers
>

>ilbert

Future Shop have the best selection, Staples tend to mostly stock
"All-in-One"s. Both Mac stores are somewhat limited in choice, as are
Costco, Zellers, Wal-Mart and Sam's Club, although the latter has good
prices.
If you've got some of those photos at hand, give me a call & we could do
them on my Epson 1250 Photo scanner and you can see what Elements can
do. 473-0234.
TTFN,
TeeC