[muglo] Scanners

  • From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:43:54 -0500

Scanners - Handheld and Flatbed
Can anyone recommend a good replacement for my existing ( never used !
)UMAX Astra which is useless with OSX.

My needs are :

Basic entry scanning (and export via email etc) of text and photos
Input of page size or column width text /graphic from books or
magazine/newspapers
Good OCR translator with low error %
Digital Photography - input and printing out of hard copies

As Tee C reminded me, there used to be  the Handheld Thunderscans (
back in the Apple II Dark Ages ) where columns could be scanned in and
stitched together?    The Googlegear USB Flatbed suggested by Barry T
might provide a currently available alternative ? But I find the price
suspiciously low:-)  Am investigating - (see ZipZoomfly.com)

For more general purposes the Canon LIDE 20 CanoScan seems to have some
good features . I have a particular requirement for s lift and raise
lid to facilitate thick book scanning.
I think this latter feature and future exploration into digital
photography (including the scanning of 30 year old family photos!) are
essential needs for me

What models,( makes, prices and local sources?)  are you other guys
using as scanners ?

Any advice appreciarted

Cheers

ilbert