[muglo] Re: Hang up!!

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:09:37 -0400

After reading the other posts here are my thoughts.  I generally shut
down my machines at night.  Like Tee it is a force of habit from way
back, another reason is that with my G3 on OS X it doesn't go to sleep
properly so I don't get the power saving benefits of a sleeping
computer. I also have my Energy Saver panel preferences set to screen
saver after 15 minutes, hard drive sleep whenever possible and
auto-shut off at 12:30 each evening (morning?), usually auto on at 8 AM
during the week, which I change depending whether I'm going to be home
or not.  This way I don't have to remember whether I've shut the
computer off or not.

Talking about sleep - this is the same as turning your computer off
with respect to daily, weekly and monthly maintenance scripts that OS X
runs at pre-scheduled times.  You would still need to use something
like MacJanitor to ensure this gets done.

You could also try a program called OnyX which can do many additional
maintenance things that Mac Janitor doesn't.  It comes in a 10.4.x
version and a 10.3.x version; pick your flavour. It is freeware and
avaialble at the following link:
http://www.titanium.free.fr

Martin