[muglo] Re: Excel

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:50:39 -0500

Eric D. wrote: to Mary metcalf:

>  or AppleWorks for X
> for ~$120. AppleWorks has a built-in spreadsheet that can read and write
> Excel files and has the advantage that it runs natively in OS X (so it looks
> all pretty and has "protected memory") and in OS 9 *as well*.

This is probably the easiest and most cost effective solution.
Depending on the complexity of the Excel worksheets they should
translate quite well based on my experience. Since it is a
version 4 Excel many of the new "bloat" features are not there.

Depending on the type of stuff Excel is being used for it may be
more advantageous to move the information into the Appleworks
Database which many people simply overlook as an option because
they are so spreadsheet focused. If it is data tracking that you
want you can do some pretty amazing stuff with the AW DB.

This might be more work because you would have to redo your
formulas and stuff but it makes finding and printing data so much
easier and nicer to boot, and with a few user defined macros
makes getting that info 1 click away.

Martin