[muglo] Re: Excel

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:35:14 -0500

on 6/3/03 11:48 AM, Marilyn Medcalf at marilyn@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My husband has been using a Power Macintosh G3 using System 9 for some
> time and has recently changed to System X (10.2) with System 9.2.2.
> All of the programmes he had been using transferred to the new System X
> with the exception of his Excel programme.  The Excel programme is
> Version 4 and is on seven 800K floppy disks. He is looking for a disk
> for Excel for the new system (Classic environment) to run his existing
> disks, which contain information that he has collected over a long
> period of time. He do not want the whole suite. Can anyone help?
>
> Marilyn Medcalf

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but I think it's whether you can
buy Excel separately. Yes you can. Check out
<http://www.microsoft.com/mactopia> for those details.

If he wants OS X native he can pick up Excel X for $300+ or AppleWorks for X
for ~$120. AppleWorks has a built-in spreadsheet that can read and write
Excel files and has the advantage that it runs natively in OS X (so it looks
all pretty and has "protected memory") and in OS 9 *as well*.

If you want a Classic-"compatible" version of Excel check out Excel 98 or
2001 and see if anyone is selling them on EBay.

There's an OS X Excel (shrinkwrapped) on EBay for $175 US.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3405072010&category=2544
6> It's being sold by someone with over 400 sales/buys on their hands so you
can trust them.

I *strongly* recommend that you go with 98 or 2001 (vs. 5) simply because
they have a high level of Classic/OS 9 compatibility (I've used both without
any crashes) and are slick programs (by far the best all-purpose spreadsheet
in the Mac-universe). Version 5 *may* work in Classic/OS 9 but I am not
sure. I would stay away from using 4 in 9/Classic because I seem to remember
that it doesn't work, & besides, it's ancient so likely uses some system
software that is no longer supported... though, you can experiment with it
and see if it works for you.

Eric.