[muglo] Re: Digitizing 35mm Slides

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 10:43:56 -0400

I like taking pictures and have some lenses but not a macro one for my unit.
My brother is more into it and might have some stuff I could borrow. He's in
T.O. and unfortunately (for me) traipsing around the mountains of Bolivia at
the moment. I'll check into the photo shop aspect but I do like Frank's idea.
Some of these slides are 50 years old and likely need preserving sooner rather
than later. Mostly Ektachrome 25 and 64 with some Fuji up to 400.

Martin

On Sep 11, 2015, at 10:31 AM, George Couckuyt <grandbender@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don’t know how into photography you are Martin but with a light table and a
rigged up rail you can do pretty well too. Macro lens, tubes reverse
lens…lots of tinkering stuff but a phot shop is not that expensive and quick,
good results.
If you do it yourself make sure you check each slide for dust, hairs etc.
They show up big time!

On Sep 11, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx> wrote:

George,
Thanks for the info, sounds 'easy'. I haven't started doing my research yet
and thought I would ask Mugloites. The $100 is what I am trying to avoid. I
have the time!!

Martin

On Sep 11, 2015, at 10:23 AM, George Couckuyt <grandbender@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Martin,

You can buy a slide digitizer that plugs right into your usb port. You have
to do them individually. You can get them on Ebay for $100 or just have
them done by a service and be done with it!

George

On Sep 11, 2015, at 10:17 AM, Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx> wrote:

To the photogs in the group:

Any advice on how to go about digitizing 35mm slides? I have a number of
trays that I would like to do and then reclaim some space in my apartment.
I anticipate it being a time consuming process however I won't be doing
all of the slides just some of the better pics. I'm anticipating about a
couple hundred 'keepers' out of what I have. I would also like to do it
without spending a lot of money on equipment I'll only be using for this
one project.

Martin