[muglo] Re: Cheap PCs

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:40:37 -0400

on 10/4/03 6:51 PM, Joe McGuire at theguy@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Cheap indeed. It should go without saying, however, that it is total
> crap. Integrated graphics sharing the system RAM, integrated sound and
> nic, probably a TTX monitor. Lexmark *shudder* Also makes me wonder if
> any of it is refurbed. I can't even begin to guess how many MDG's I had
> come through the shop when I was still running one.

I think the graphics were separate on a 32 MB AGP nVidea!

Ok, so MDGs are lemons? Hmm.

> That being said, I recently had to price out a number of machines for
> work using brand name components. The price floored me, it was so cheap!
> Here goes:
>
> AMD 1800+
> Asus KT333 mobo
> 1x512MB DDR DIMM
> Maxtor 20GB
> ATi 32MB Vid
> 3Com NIC
> Integrated sound (who needs good sound on an office computer?)
> Samsung 17" monitor
> XP Pro (not home, like the MDG)
> KB, Mouse
> NO printer (networked, afterall)
>
> Roughly $1,500 + tax

It's probably cheaper now b/c the MDG 2400 2.4 GHz, Intel mobo, 32 MB AGP
nVidea, 512 MB (Micron), 80 GB drive (Western Digital?), whole suite of
Office apps (MS Word, Works, + other stuff), 17" Samsung flatscreen (Samsung
must be able to supply 'em cheap) and a few other goodies for $1300. Add XP
Pro (unless you're a U of T faculty/staff/student... $140 for Pro) and it'll
cost you an extra $200.

> Egads. The eMac may come close, but it certainly isn't as well equipped.

The eMac 1 GHz barely touches the 1800, let alone a 2.4 GHz PIV that's
another 30% faster, and I don't think the 1 GHz eMac (is there one?) costs
$1500!

Of course, you'd have to use a Windoze machine.

Eric.