[muglo] Re: Cheap PCs

  • From: "Joe McGuire" <theguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:51:30 -0400

Cheap indeed. It should go without saying, however, that it is total
crap. Integrated graphics sharing the system RAM, integrated sound and
nic, probably a TTX monitor. Lexmark *shudder* Also makes me wonder if
any of it is refurbed. I can't even begin to guess how many MDG's I had
come through the shop when I was still running one.

That being said, I recently had to price out a number of machines for
work using brand name components. The price floored me, it was so cheap!
Here goes:

AMD 1800+
Asus KT333 mobo
1x512MB DDR DIMM
Maxtor 20GB
ATi 32MB Vid
3Com NIC
Integrated sound (who needs good sound on an office computer?)
Samsung 17" monitor
XP Pro (not home, like the MDG)
KB, Mouse
NO printer (networked, afterall)

Roughly $1,500 + tax

Egads. The eMac may come close, but it certainly isn't as well equipped.

Joe McGuire aka tinfoil
digital media rights and music news
http://music.tinfoil.net
computer news and support